Ph.D. Student Position in Environmental and Resource Economics
The Chair Group of Agricultural Production and Resource Economics at the TUM School of Life Sciences Weihen- stephan and the TUM School of Management offers a Ph.D. Student Position in Environmental and Resource Economics starting at the earliest June 1, 2019. Initial appointment will be 2 years with the possibility of extension. Salary is in accordance with the German State Regulated Public Salary Scale (TV-L E13 2/3).
The successful candidate is expected to actively engage in an international project on the delivery of environmental public goods from farming through effective agri-environment schemes funded under the EU’s H2020 program. The core aspects include (i) assessing farmer adoption/participation in traditional schemes and schemes’ diffusion, (ii) evaluating the economic performance of existing schemes, (iii) integrated ecological/economic modelling to guide contract design in selected agri-environmental landscapes, and (iv) evaluating results-based innovative schemes.
The applicant should possess:
- an excellent university degree in economics, applied economics (e.g. agricultural economics, natural resource economics, environmental economics, agribusiness management), or related disciplines;
- strong analytical and methodological skills with a focus on quantitative data analysis (e.g. econometrics, statistics) as well as qualitative approaches (e.g. in-depth interviewing, survey design, stakeholder analysis);
- knowledge of agriculture in Europe, of agricultural policy as well as of theories of the provision of ecosystem services and production theory;
- a high motivation and the ability to work independently with a strong team orientation;
- an interest in teaching;
- excellent spoken and written
The Chair Group of Agricultural Production and Resource Economics offers a stimulating work environment that promotes individual creativity and effective teamwork. More information about the group is available at http://pur.wzw.tum.de.
Please send a cover letter that explains how this position fits with your experiences and goals, your curriculum vitae, a list of references and copies of key documents (transcripts, degree certificates) in a single PDF to the head of the chair group, Professor Johannes Sauer (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the 15th of May 2019. For additional information on the project and the position, please contact Philipp Mennig (email@example.com).
As part of the Excellence Initiative of the German federal and state governments, TUM has been pursuing the stra- tegic goal of substantially increasing the diversity of its staff. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, TUM explicitly encourages nominations of and applications from women as well as from all others who would bring additional diversity dimensions to the university’s research and teaching strategies. Preference will be given to dis- abled candidates with essentially the same qualifications.
Technical University of Munich
Chair Group of Agricultural Production and Resource Economics
Alte Akademie 14
Phone: 0049 – (0)8161 – 71 3413