Arjun Singh Bedi is Professor of Development Economics and Deputy Rector for Research at the International Institute of Social Studies (ISS) of Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Prior to joining ISS in 1999, he held positions at the University of Bonn (1998-99) and Columbia University (1996-98). In 2013-2014 he was visiting professor at Georgetown University’s campus in Doha. His research focuses on labour and human resource economics in developing countries. His work has been published in several international economics and development studies journals including European Economic Review, Journal of Law and Economics, Journal of Development Economics, Economic Development and Cultural Change, Health Economics, Journal of Development Studies, Applied Economics, Labour Economics, Economics of Transition,Economics of Education Review and World Development.
Human Capital (Education and Health) – Investments and returns, Child Labour and Education, Labour Markets – Wage and Employment Dynamics/ Information Technology and Economic Development/ Economic reforms and Socio-cultural Practices in India
- Coping with shocks in rural Ethiopia (with Zelalem Yilma, Anagaw Mebratie, Robert Sparrow, DegnetAbebaw, Marleen Dekker, Getnet Alemu). Forthcoming in Journal of Development Studies. Available online April 29, 2014. DOI: 10.1080/00220388.2014.909028.
- Transnational Trafficking, Law Enforcement and Victim Protection: A Middleman Trafficker’sPerspective (with Randy Akee, Arnab Basu and Nancy Chau). Forthcoming in Journal of Law and Economics 57, May 2014. Accepted on December 3, 2013.
- Child Malnutrition and Antenatal Care (with Nohora Forero, Luis Gamboa, Robert Sparrow). Pan American Journal of Public Health 35 no. 3(2014):163–71.
- Health care seeking behavior in rural Ethiopia: Evidence from clinical vignettes (with AnagawMebratie, Ellen Van de Poel, Zelalem Yilma, Degnet Abebaw, Getnet Alemu). BMJ Open 4 (2014): doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2013-004020.
- Regional dimensions of Somali piracy and militant Islamism: anthropological and econometricevidence (with Currun Singh). Peace Economics, Peace Science and Public Policy 19 no. 3(2013): 369- 380). doi: 10.1515/peps-2013-0037. On October 23, 2013, an op-ed in the International New York Times referred to this paper.
- Enrollment in Community Based Health Insurance Schemes in Rural Bihar and Uttar Pradesh,India (with Pradeep Panda, Arpita Chakraborty, David Dror). Forthcoming in Health Policy and Planning, doi: 10.1093/heapol/czt077. Available online on October 26, 2013.
- The Dynamics of Job Creation and Job Destruction in an African Economy: Evidence from Ethiopia (with Admasu Shiferaw). Journal of African Economies 22 no. 5 (2013): 651-692 (lead article).
- Census 2011 and Child Sex Ratios in Tamil Nadu (with S. Srinivasan). Journal of Human Development and Capabilities 14 no. 3 (2013): 441-451.
- Foreign Direct Investment, Black Economic Empowerment and Labour Productivity in South Africa (with Anagaw Derseh Mebratie) Journal of International Trade and Economic Development 22 no. 1 (2013): 94-115.
- Ensuring Daughter Survival in Tamil Nadu (with Sharada Srinivasan). Oxford Development Studies 39 no.3 (2011): 253-283.